terça-feira, 7 de janeiro de 2014

Haus Der Lüge with The Volta Sound - An Interview


Qual a relação entre BJM e Blixa Bargeld!?!?!?!? Nenhuma basicamente, são basicamente, musicalmente falando coisas nada a ver uma com a outra, certo? Certo. ERRADO!!

A minha felicidade em receber as respostas do meu chapa Mike do The Volta Sound foi absurda e me fez pensar muito como a música é algo fora dos limites de entendimento e pensamento. Como dois seres como Anton Newcombe e Blixa Bargeld podem exercem da mesma forma tamanha influência em um ser? Bom, se eu fosse responder por mim, seria fácil, fácil, porque idolatro ambos, mas como !?!!?!? Porque?!?!??! Qual a co-relação!!??!? Psicodelia e experimentalismo, não há ligação coerente entre ambos, mas porra, ler essa entrevista do The Volta Sound, que, pera aí, lançou em 05/01/2014 e primeiro grande e precioso album de 2014 na verdade um mini album chamado Fast Light With Radio Signal, que já na primeira música fode com tudo, veja o título Henri Chinaski, aos desavisados nome de um projeto a´la Spacemen 3 de outro maluco que já passou por estas páginas, o ponto é que o mini album exala psicodelia extrema, de entorpecer e dizer, é muito amor mesmo, pra viciar mesmo.

Agora, e o ponto Anton Newcombe x Blixa Bargeld?!?!? Na real, música é algo inexplicável mesmo, por essas e outras que amamos tudo isso pra caralho, e danem-se os que não tem esse sentimento, só digo o seguinte, 2014 promete.

***** Interview with The Volta Sound *****


Q. When did Volta Sound starts, tell us about the history...
Physically, it started when Ben called me from his college dorm and said he'd been driving around listening to a tape of songs I'd made. We named the band during that phone call even tho there was no band. It was just me and Ben talking about it maybe 6 months later, we combined a band I was in called Cloud City Beverage (me, Todd and Prieto) with what I now know was Davenport Colelctive (Ben and Matt).

We played a few shows like that, no bass, and after one of them, this super exciteable dude INSISTS he be our new bass player. I couldn't turn down that kind of insane passion and Dave Geddes showed up at practice the next day with a bass guitar, a mental disorder of some sort and arguably the most heart and soul of all of us.


Q: Who are your influences?
Well, I just totally cried hard listening to Yazoo - Upstairs At Eric's from 1982 so I'd say there's one. And Depeche Mode Speak and Spell is always on rotation for me. I grew up in a heavy gay area of Columbus Ohio surrounded by a black ghetto on 3 sides. That's easily MY biggest influence, hands down. A flamboyant passion for life and humanity from the streets and dance floors of marginalized people.

As for the rest of the band, who knows man. I know Cassidy is almost possessed like a demon by Syd Barrett. Todd loves Paul McCartney and Deep Purple, anything soft, silly and super commercial. Michael Jackson, etc.

That's about as good of guesses as I can come up with, really. Being human, man. Alive. I'm not copping out, that's just really what it is.

Q. Made a list of 5 albuns of all time…
Yazoo - Upstairs At Erics
Depeche Mode - Speak and Spell
School House Rocks
LCD Soundsystem - Everyfuckingthing
Einsturzende Neubauten - Fuenf auf der Nach Oben Offenen Richterskala

Q. How do you fell playing alive?
Playing live and playing for recordings are the same thing. Playing music itself is an intense magic. It's only done by humans. We SAY that some animals do it but that's just us saying that. Animals may make sounds because it pleases them and that's a form of magic, but they don't give the sounds any MEANING. That's the magic part.

We give it meaning and it moves us. Pure, unfiltered magic. So I feel that playing live music is one of the few true UFO mysteries we can witness.

Q. How do you describe Volta Sound sounds?
The Volta Sounds are rock and roll. I love all forms of music but this band plays this type. It's definitely music for altered states, although that's not intentional. It's just that the source is psyche based and therefore it's psychedelic music.

Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs ?
There is no process for recording songs. If there is a microphone nearby, and I try to make sure there always is, and if there is a song happening that I want to capture, and there always is, then we put them together and voila. A recording.although, I am VERY into SOUND. I love sound. So I mix and master all our songs and I approach it as sound, rather than music. I try to make it as if the instruments are floating between the speakers, suspended in air but as real as being in the room with you.

That takes a bit of knowledge and some sideways understanding of the nature of reality. I really admire major producers.


Q. Which new bands do you recommended?
The UFO Club Death Grips Riff Raff Kanye West Kitty Pryde Shit Robot LCD Soundsystem Red Fang White Denim Nameless UA, Ternopil The Space Lady

 Q: Which bands you love to made a cover version?
Ricky Wilde http://shutupmike.bandcamp.com/track/kosmonaut

Q: What´s the plans for future....
My plans for the future are the same as my plans for the past. Make sounds that I enjoy and hope that I am part of the team that makes life a little better for everyone on the planet.

Q: Any parting words?
Stay alive. Make more. shutupmike.com

Ps - and this: my single biggest influential artist and human being is Blixa bargeld oh wow. Moments after I typed that, I saw that you have or like a tattoo of EN!!
*
*
*
Thanks Mike